The UCSB Department of Music admits new students in the Fall Quarter only. Applicants must first apply for admission to the University of California either as a freshman or as a transfer student.
How to Apply:
The UC application filing period is November 1st - 30th for enrollment in September of the following year. For more information on UC eligibility, please visit the University of California website.
The total application fee is $70.
For applicants interested in the Bachelor of Art or the Music Minor, no additional application materials or audition in necessary during the application phase (only Step One, below, is required). For students applying to the Bachelor of Music, follow all three of the steps below:
Go to FAQs for questions.
Step one - Apply to UCSB
- Complete the UCSB Undergraduate Application between November 1 - 30. The application fee is $70.
- Please note: applicants applying simultaneously to both the Bachelor of Arts in Music Studies and the Bachelor of Music with a specific instrumental or vocal emphasis, please select BM as your first-choice major on the UCSB Application.
Step two - Fill out an Audition Form
- Fill out and Submit the Audition Form. The form will re-open November 1st for Fall 2019 BM applicants. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step three - Schedule an Audition
- Click on the instrument to see the sign up form for that particular instrument. You will be able to choose your audition day and time based on the availability listed. You will be able to release and re-choose a spot if your availability changes, however it will be limited to the choices still open.
- Students are strongly encouraged to perform a live audition, but it is possible to audition by submitting a recording that meet the above requirements. More information about how to submit links to your recorded audition will be available soon.
Step four - Perform an Audition
- Perform an audition according to the specific requirements for your chosen major preference, see below.
Audition Requirements by Instrument
BM Emphases in Voice
Minimum of two songs or arias, one in a foreign language. (Art songs or arias only: no popular, folk-song, or musical comedy.) Provide one copy of music for the accompanist.
BM Emphases in Bassoon, Clarinet, Flute, Oboe,
French Horn, Trombone, Trumpet, And Tuba
Two or more contrasting works from the standard literature for your instrument.
Demonstrate technical proficiency through chromatic and major scales, arpeggios and/or etudes.
BM Emphases in Double Bass, Cello, Viola, and Violin
Two or more contrasting works from the standard literature for your instrument, demonstrating technical proficiency.
BM Piano Emphasis
Three contrasting works from different historical periods.
BM Composition Emphasis
Students who wish to audition for entrance into the BM, Composition program, a live audition is not required. Instead, please create a single PDF portfolio with the documents listed below and links to your work, which should be available for viewing online. Submit this as a single package to email@example.com. Your portfolio must include:
- Statement of Objective as composition major
- Three works, submitted with score (.pdf) and recording (.mp3 or .wav) if available. For works with no or non-traditional notation, alternate documentation is acceptable.
- Complete List of Works, indicating any performances and recording