Marketing and Publicity Services
The Department of Music offers the following publicity/marketing services for faculty-sponsored events:
- Event listing on music.ucsb.edu calendar (music.ucsb.edu/events/calendar)
- Listing in community, campus, and department weekly event emails
- Listing in campus and community calendars (Independent, Noozhawk, Edhat, etc.)
- 1-3 social media posts on the department’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts
- Poster design and printing
- Program design and printing
Special events such as faculty recitals and department-wide performances may require additional publicity and marketing efforts, such as digital advertisements (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) and print advertisements (Independent, VOICE Magazine, etc.). These additional items may exceed the publicity/marketing budget allocated for the event, so please consult with the Marketing and Communications Manager if you wish to request additional advertising.
All ticketed events, and often department-wide performances and faculty recitals, will require a press release to be sent to all members of the press and media within the campus and Santa Barbara communities. After a Publicity Request Form has been submitted, the Marketing and Communications Manager will reach out to the faculty member if additional information or materials are needed.
If a faculty member is interested in publicizing their event, they must submit a Publicity Request Form. If a faculty member does not formally request publicity via this form, their event will not be publicized. Publicity requests must be received no later than 30 business days prior to an event. Requests received less than 30 business days prior to an event will be accommodated on a case-by-case basis.
Faculty members must have the following materials prepared when filling out the form:
- Event description for poster and website (maximum 100 words for poster, unlimited for web)
- For concerts and masterclasses: artist bios for poster and website (maximum 100 words for poster, unlimited for web)
- For lectures: abstracts for poster and website (maximum 100 words for poster, unlimited for web)
- Event image(s) [image should be 300 ppi (pixels per inch) for print or 72 ppi if image will be for web use only]
- Limit one large feature image for poster and up to five secondary images (ex: artist headshots)
- Repertoire list (last names of composers are fine until your program is finalized)
- Names of all collaborators and their instruments (pianist, chamber musicians, etc.)
- Sponsorships (text and logos, if applicable)
The Marketing and Communications Manager will prepare the program in the department's template and will send to the faculty member for approval before printing. Exact program information is not required when submitting the Publicity Request Form, but must be received at least 20 business days prior to the event. Programs may be emailed separately to the Marketing and Communications Manager in the form of a Word Document or Google Doc. Only print-ready content will be accepted (please make all edits to content prior to submitting to Marketing and Communications Manager for design layout).
Please use this program template to submit to the Marketing and Communications Manager to ensure all of the information needed to complete the program is included.
Faculty members must include the following when submitting program information:
- Titles of pieces (include all diacritical marks, italicization, opus numbers, etc.)
- Movement titles
- Composer first and last names
- Composer birth and death dates
- Intermission (indicate where it will fall in the program)
- Vocalists must include text/translations (include original text for songs that are sung in English) unless using projection
- Program notes (if applicable)
- If program notes are too long, the faculty member may be asked to reduce the length for the printed program. Additional notes can be added to the event listing on the website.