“I decided to come to UCSB after having an incredible experience working with Jill Felber at a summer workshop in high school. Her inspiring instruction has transformed my flute playing, and studying at UCSB has helped me grow as a musician and as a scholar, thanks to our outstanding and supportive faculty, environment, and resources.” —Sylvie Tran '18, Bachelor of Music (BM)
About the Flute Studio at UCSB
In a supportive environment, flute students work collaboratively with Professor Felber and with each other to create a challenging and rewarding experience for themselves. With a strong emphasis on flute fundamentals and interpretation, flute students graduate from the program with skills to pursue many facets of a music career.
Undergraduate - Bachelor of Arts (BA) with an emphasis in Music Studies and Bachelor of Music (BM)
Graduate - Master of Music (MM)
Catherine Marshall | First Prize, Instrumental, Performing Arts Scholarship Foundation (2016)
Notable Former Students of Professor Felber
- Carol Joe won a flute position in the US Army Band “Pershings Own”
- Erica Peel won three professional piccolo auditions - Houston Symphony, San Diego Symphony, and Philadelphia Orchestra and currently performs as Piccoloist of the Philadelphia Orchestra
- Former students have recently been selected by audition and have performed as featured artists at the National Flute Association Conventions in Chicago, IL, and in Washington, D.C.
- In Sterio (Shivhan Dohse and Erica Peel, both former students) recorded a second CD and toured the USA
- Shivhan Dohse Morton - Adjunct Instructor of Flute at Cornell College and Coe College; National Marketing & Sales Director for Miyazawa Flutes (USA)
- Azeem Ward became an internet sensation with 55,000 computers logging in to witness his senior recital at UCSB after a post on Facebook went viral, which led to his appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live. Azeem’s fame continued throughout the UK when he gave 15 concerts during September and October of 2015.
- Alexander Lipay is Principal Flute of the Tucson Symphony and won a Grammy in 2017 for "Best Surround Sound Album" for the Seattle Symphony's album of orchestral works by Henri Dutilleux.
- Alethia Lozano is Principal Flute of UNAM (Mexico City)
- Alison Hazen Olsen is Principal Flute of Ballet West
- Tracy Harris - recording artist and flute instructor at College of the Sequoias
- Naomi Seidman - Assistant Professor of Flute, Penn State University
- Adriane Hill - flutist with Now Hear Ensemble and Marketing and Communications Manager, UC Santa Barbara Department of Music
- Kassey LeBow Plaha and Jill Heinke Moen - Areon Flutes
- Linda Holland - flute and chamber music instructor, Santa Barbara City College
- Andrea DiMaggio - flute instructor, Westmont College
Masterclasses and Residencies
Marianne Gedigian, Jim Walker, Leone Buyse, Carol Wincenc, Jeanne Baxtresser, Marina Piccinini, Tim Day, Walter Auer, Ransom Wilson, Christina Jennings, Michel Debost, Tadeu Coelho, Bradley Garner
Interviews with Professor Felber
Recordings by Professor Felber
Jill Felber, flute / Jane Rosenson, harp
"Our collaboration has spanned over many years beginning at the University of Michigan School of Music where we explored the flute and harp repertoire, presenting concert music by contemporary composers and creating our unique arrangements. May you be uplifted and touched, as we were while recording this music in the magnificent Sydney Opera House, as we gazed at the sparkling harbour with the sun dancing over the waves." - Jill and Jane
Jill Felber, flute / Dianne Frazer, piano
"We took a classical melody and fused it with a non-classical melody to create a bond of two pieces that would be moving and powerful. Enjoy our creations that are performed and arranged by us. May the music bring healing and comfort to your lives." - Jill and Dianne