A Step-by-step Guide to Planning Your Student Recital
Revised March 29, 2023
In order to schedule a student recital, please complete the following after you speak to your instructor:
- Bookmark: Recital Audition Approval Form (due after your audition).
- Complete: Event Checklist.
- Review: Student Recital Program page to begin creating your program.
- Undergraduate BM’s: Bookmark the Post-Recital Form (due after your recital).
- Graduates: Bookmark the Post-Recital form (due after your recital).
Once the Event Checklist is submitted, the Production & Events Manager will contact you to confirm your recital date and location.
Recitals can only occur during weeks 1-8 of any quarter. If you would like to schedule a recital for the current quarter, you have the first two weeks of the quarter to do so. After this window, the system will show no available dates for the current quarter. You may request to book a recital date for subsequent quarters at any time. Students with special circumstances who wish to have a recital after week 8 must receive approval from their advisor and petition the Department Chair in writing.
Recital venues: Both Karl Geiringer Hall and Room 1145 may be requested for recital performances. Lotte Lehmann Concert Hall may be booked under special circumstances such as the inclusion of a large ensemble in the performance or unique technical needs. To schedule Lotte Lehmann Concert Hall for your recital, please contact the Production and Events Manager directly.
Your recital booking covers:
- One dress rehearsal for up to two hours
- One public performance of up to 1.5 hours
- A digital audio recording of your performance for the Department of Music Archives
- Piano tuning
- Program printing - Students are responsible for creating their own programs, reviewing them with their faculty advisor(s), and submitting them ready to print.
- An usher and a recording technician
- Stage lighting
- Use of stage equipment such as stands and chairs
- Use of AV equipment such as sound systems and projectors
- Reception (by request)